Monday, October 19, 2009

Songs that speak to the heart

I've enjoyed listening to Eva Cassidy's songs today. They really speak to the heart.
I've heard the song O' Danny Boy so many times but really didn't listen to the words, just heard them. I will have to say it expressed alot of sentiment from me to my son.


Even stranger, I looked it up to see what the history was behind the lyrics and this was interesting. Very touching song. I think Eva Cassidy sings it the best. Click here for the history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Boy "The song has been interpreted by some listeners as a message from a parent to a son going off to war or leaving as part of the Irish diaspora."

I couldn't have said it better.



Oh Danny Boy~~~written by Frederick Weatherly in 1910.



Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling


From glen to glen, and down the mountain side


The summer's gone, and all the roses falling


It's you, it's you, must go and I must bide.



But come ye back when summer's in the meadow


Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow


And I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow


Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.



But when ye come, and all the flow'rs are dying


If I am dead, as dead I well may be


Ye'll come and find the place where I am lying


And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.



And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me


And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be


For you will bend and tell me that you love me


And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me.


Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.


I dedicate this song to Brandon today. Whereever you are, I know it's morning now for you. I love you and hope to see you again in Springtime.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer