Sunday, July 25, 2010

Home-made Oatmeal Pecan Cookies

While one thing leads to another, such as cleaning out the refrigerator, I suddenly craved Oatmeal cookies, with lots of chipped pecans and it had to be straight from scratch. I usually use the recipe for the Quaker Oatmeal Cookies but tweak it for our tastes.

Oatmeal-Pecan Cookies


1/2 pound of butter (2 stitcks), softened---salted
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp of Watkins natural vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour-----I prefer White Lily but today had Gold Medal so that's ok too
1 tsp of baking soda
3 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of salt
3 cups of Quaker oats (old-fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup of crushed pecans

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat together the butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
In a separate bowl,  add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
Then add the flour mixture slowly to the larger bowl. Mix well.
Mix in oats well. Then take crushed pecans (I use a small sandwich bag and throw some halves in there and close the bag and take the end of a mallet and crush them up well)
Add the pecans to the dough.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I use baking paper and makes taking cookies off ultra easy and also avoids burning the bottoms.
I also tend to undercook cookies as I like them moist. I bake for 8 minutes and then put on a serving plate.
This recipe makes about 50-60 small cookies.
I also like to sometimes make large cookies for ice cream sandwich-making.

Optional in most recipes are added raisins. But I always leave that out as I do not like cooked raisins.
I can eat them uncooked but not cooked. I know that's weird.

You can also roll half the dough in freezer paper uncooked and put in the freezer for a later batch. This comes in handy for just the two of us. Then, just slice and bake later.
Or we can do like today and cook the whole batch!

The smell for the hour you are baking will make the house smell soooooooo good.








Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.

Serve with a big bowl of vanilla ice cream or with a tall, cold glass of milk.

This is sure to make hubbies smile with glee and forget all the stash expenses for the month.......LOL

Dance and seranade in the dining room to some Oldie 1930's CD while they are baking ;)

1 comment:

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer