Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Daffodils are Peaking Through


I WANDERED LONELY AS A CLOUD
by William Woodsworth


I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.


Continuous as the stars that shine

and twinkle on the Milky Way,

They stretched in never-ending

line along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

tossing their heads in sprightly dance.


The waves beside them danced;

but theyOut-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay

in such a jocund company:

I gazed - and gazed - but little thought

what wealth the show to me had brought:


For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

This weekend I saw the sprouting of my daffodils in the front porch pots we have close to the porch. Actually, I noticed them yesterday morning when I went to take Ren out for a few minutes. The weather is definitely fitting for an early Spring but oh how I know its just a sneak peak at what will be in the distant future. We will most likely have cold weather again, assuredly until Easter, as my mama always said.
The daffodils were a pleasant surprise when I turned around as those are special. They come back year after year, probably about 4-5 years now in that same pot. Brandon brought them back for me from the mountain near our house and they keep coming back every February and March.
I found this poem on the internet and thought it was quite fitting. It was written in 1804 by William Woodsworth.

From Wikipedia quote:
"Like the maiden's song in "The Solitary Reaper," the memory of the daffodils is etched in the speaker's mind and soul to be cherished forever. When he's feeling lonely, dull or depressed, he thinks of the daffodils and cheers up. The full impact of the daffodils' beauty (symbolizing the beauty of nature) did not strike him at the moment of seeing them, when he stared blankly at them but much later when he sat alone, sad and lonely and remembered them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer