Sunday, March 12, 2017

Cozy Memories Blanket Start-DK weight

A rugged start; Having that been said, I am LOVING the mindless knitting of the mitered squares!

I listened to many tutorials when I finished this DK square for how to align and attach them as I go.
The ones that spoke to me most is in two parts on You Tube:

the first

the second

both by Simply Maur Crafting. I think she did the most thorough and simplest explanation of making a mitered square and joining to another.

However, my second square I joined, the pink one, looks bad on edges because I was doing what she suggested by knitting through the back loop on the end of every row and slipping the first as if to purl at the beginning of each row. I'm sure my technique is wrong and I am going back to listen to these videos again because my edges are not clean. I'm hoping by joining the next squares it will help this.

I have no  pattern of colors at all just using my leftovers of DK yarn. Here are some of them.

I modified the pattern on Ravelry by Kemper Wray to CO 32 stitches/ putting my marker after stitch 16. I reduced number of stitches to still yield a 3 in square but with DK.
The rest of her pattern I followed exactly and is FREE.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-coziest-memory



I found out when I finished the light green one with sock yarn that although the finish is gorgeous, realistically I had WAY more DK leftovers than sock yarn so I went with making a DK weight blanket. And for right now, I need to use up what I have.


this is the right side as noted by my progress keeper to remind me.


you can see my wobbly edges I hope to fix when casting on the next square.


Of course the first block is made with 2 yarns, one in Lake Shore Bluff by Lorna Laces/ DK, and the other is all wool DMC miniskein.
The second block is DK weight but is made with a more drapey and flexable yarn. It is from my LYS from a couple of years ago. I made a shawl in it but I can't remember the name or content of it. I do know it's DK, I think combo of Merino wool, silk blend.


I was happy about the actual join side to the square. It took me 3 tries to get it right and I think it will improve the more I do it. 
Well, this is definitely a work in progress and will be a memory blanket, hopefully for the process of knitting it. That part has been enjoyable.
I am trying to attach and knit one square a day.

This will give me time to knit other projects in between. So this is a slow burn kind of project.

Have a peaceful Sunday,

Jennifer

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer: Do you have to I think it is called block this project when it is stitched? I am not sure what blocking means just curious.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. For this project, there are many different ways I think from what I see on Ravelry you can do with it finished. Some people actually put a border on all of it at the end, even crocheting a border. I've seen some who do not border then. Blocking in knitting means that you handwash it and stretch it out while damp to form straight lines so that when it dries, it is more even and asthetically visual as a whole. Blocking lace projects is really important to stretch those out and let it dry with pins so that it will have a better shape. You can get T pins and lace blocker pins on Amazon or sometime LNS but usually they are more expensive at LNS (local needlework shop}. Blocking like thiw with Tpins or wires can really open up lacework and even out stitches. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely idea to knit a memory blanket. I look forward to seeing it grow as you progress. It would be easy to knit it anywhere too - that's the beauty of knitting, it's so portable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you Jennifer, I find knitting and crocheting intriguing, someday after it calms down around here I Plano learning to knit and crochet.
    Thank-you for the explaination.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so welcome. I am still learning too and that is why I love knitting.

    Ann, yes it is so portable and much easier for me to see. I usually take a project bag with me everywhere. The biggest challenge now for me is to connect/cast on the right way for the next square.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Jennifer,
    Well, a week has passed since you posted but I got way behind in reading blogs.
    Love this way of knitting tiny squares from leftover yarn and it will create a lovely blanket, no doubt.
    Finished my huge crochet project and the 50-hour Fleur de Lys curtain hangs now in the veranda, with the earlier 100-hour Fleur de Lys curtain. Feels good for having it done!
    Wishing you a happy weekend.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer