Saturday, September 12, 2015

Coming Undone and Waitin' on Tom Video


Sometimes, even as much as our creative juices are flowing, mistakes happen in the pattern and, well, it can't be fixed. 

I tried everything with this pattern.


I absolutely loved the edging it was making.


and as big and far as I had gone............into the first lace chart, I had to take it all back apart. 

I mean...........to the first knit stitch.

Coming undone.  I was undone to say the least. 


I spent a good 6 hours trying to avoid that but I decided knitting is a hobby not something to stress over, so the answer was to make something better with it. 

Lessons were definitely learned:

when starting to learn a new technique, start on a small scale

always, always, always keep a lifeline row!

don't knit when sleepy

everything can have a new beginning

sometimes we can even make something better


My DH took me for a road trip and consoled me as I did rewind the entire skein. 

I was inspired again to start over but not using that pattern. Nope. Had way too many start overs with it. It is a beautiful lace pattern but on to something new.


So, with some inspiration one morning near our homestead, I decided to try again.


Of course it also helped to be on the way to the local yarn shop.


The  colors in the early Fall air and clear skies got me thinking.


Even Abbie got to thinking.


So I tried to make a go of blending to start a new shawl.


I also was inspired by some Etsy stash of new, little owl markers from this sweet lady who sent her card and a bird. Right now, it looks like a turkey to me, but that could be because I see about 25 or them every morning and evening feeding in the yard, getting fatter and fatter for Thanksgiving.


If you order from her on Etsy, I can assure you she has great service, quick and fair shipping and will put in 1-2 gifties extra like these buttons and the extra marker.

Guess what?

I made a mistake again.......................


and I couldn't fix it.

so............my mojo for cross stitching a WIP was really making me antsy and 

I pulled out this one from about 3 years ago and re-pulled my threads to start working on it.

This is Pink Hill Manor from Blackbird Designs. 

With the use of my magnifying glasses with a light, I was in Heaven again...........enjoying my work, like revisiting a long-lost friend, and getting somewhere!



And I have had the best week on staycation!!!!

Instead of going on a trip, we both wanted to work on our house alot and we have really worked the outside and the inside, moving some rooms completely to other rooms, purging and finally letting go of some things I should have a long time ago. It's nice and cozy again. 

We also got the complete season 1-5 of Downton Abbey on DVD now and watching a few episodes, starting all over with popcorn and cuddling in the evenings. 

We've taken bookoodles of pictures of turkeys and put them on FB and we even made a video that was quite funny.

Even though we could have gone anywhere for the week on vacation, we really enjoyed it more staying home together. Improving our homestead and putting love in it, readying it for the Fall and Winter guests!!!

Enjoy!

 

not only these guests but people guests too!  :)


7 comments:

  1. Ripping all that out is never fun. I did a shawlette last year that I ended up ripping out because I messed up the pattern. Pity because it took me several tries to cast on the 200+ stitches!

    I've been watching Downton as well while the kids are at school. Finished it last week. The new series starts this month in UK but we don't get it until Jan! At least I can use the Xbox to watch the new episodes on the TV (PBS has an app for it!). No snuggling with the hubby though. He can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, we LOVE Downton. We have seen 3 episodes now. Loving it! Yes, it is sad when we have to recast on several times but great when we finally get it finished. Feels good.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post Jennifer. I so enjoyed it. Even though I'm sorry that you had to work so hard on a shawl only to find out that there's a mistake in the pattern. Bummer. Been there and done that, and will probably do it again! Your knitting is lovely, as is your cross stitching and I agree with you...When bringing out an old WIP, it's like reuniting with an old friend. It's nice to think about you and Gary working together to make a beautiful home even more beautiful, and enjoying each other's company. Way to go girlfriend! Lots of love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Jennifer,
    What a story-book! It hurts for having to undo your knitted work but I've done lots of it when I didn't like it or if a mistake is being found.
    Glad you went back to your cross-stitching again!
    That video with the music is a great production; compliments to you both!
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Jennifer and DH,
    Congrats on your 3rd anniversary!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer. I loved this post. Sorry about the knitting, and I know how you felt. I've run into patterns that had mistakes also and it is always such a let down. Glad though that you've picked up your stitching once again. It sounds like you and Gary are enjoying you home and being together so much. Love you girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I hope to get back in the groove now. We are enjoying each other and he has picked a new hobby up, woodworking. So now we both have stashes everywhere. LOL Stay warm!

      Delete

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer