Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Comforts of Home Sampler Series: number 2 Coffee Together

 
Comforts of Home Series: no. 2
 
Coffee Together
 
designed by Feathers in the Nest
copyright 2014
 
The inspiration of this series is our homestead. A place that is filled with comforts, not luxurious extras, but basics that become part of the homestead joy, love, togetherness, and coziness. The first in this series is about quilts in the home.
 
For this second band sampler, I designed called Coffee Together, I used the colors of our kitchen, where we go each morning to reach for that pot of coffee. A cup of coffee is a daily deal here in the mornings, just the two of us. Sometimes we carry it on the back porch, sometimes, we take it to the family room.........wherever it may be, it's a time to share our hearts together.
It's almost like the glue that shapes our day, discussions about current events, hopes and dreams, and chores for the day.
 
The two hearts together represent the intimacy that a cup of coffee with your special someone can bring. You may put your own initials in the gold blocks to signify that bond.
The cross is there for symbolizing that we recognize Christ as the head of our home and the key represents the key to our hearts.
 
I chose the colors as follows:
 
Gentle Art
 
Blue Jay
Morning Glory
 
Crescent Colors
 
Ruby Slippers
Finley Gold
 
The smoke from the cups are backstitched in black or a dark gray of your choosing.
 
You may change the colors of your cups and letters to your liking. I just used the color of our own cups and the red for hearts. The Finley gold is a lighter gold that really makes a good contrast for those colors but of course you may substitute one of your own liking.
 
Linen of choice.
 
I love these days that we have so many choices of how we make our coffee, flavor coffee, and the options for caffeine or not. I have one cuppa caffeine a day. Used to be all decaf but this morning cup of caffeine coffee is my first and best. My DH makes the best coffee. He is usually the first one up at the homestead and has it made. We both differ in our likings for coffee additions but not too much!
He loves, and I mean LOVES, Irish Creamer. I was raised on plain milk in my coffee, but my preference is half and half and sugar. If I travel or splurge on a flavor creamer for myself I get hazelnut or French vanilla. If we are in a pinch for creamer, I have substituted canned milk, or Cool whip. Cool whip makes a great topping for coffee with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top!
 
Throughout my life, I've made coffee in a couple of ways. Mostly we just have a regular drip pot coffee maker. I have had a perculator for about 7 years and miss it. Walmart still carries the perculators and I've been tempted to get us another one.
We don't grind our own coffee at home but a coffee grinder is on my wish list and has been for awhile.
Otherwise Folgers is our daily cup.
 
On some days we will make a second pot for the afternoon. My DH can drink lots of coffee and the caffeine doesn't make him jittery but he is pretty much a calm, cool guy anyways!!!!
 
I've seen the other one cup coffee makers and seems they are nice but right now, not in our budget and I really don't mind the way we make it now. Rarely is there leftover coffee in the pot by noon.
 
I hope you enjoy this one. It will be free for a couple of weeks here on the blog. If you stitch it up and would like to share your finish, shoot me an email with your pic, and I'll put it here on the blog.
 
Thank you again for all comments. I appreciate your time and opinions on topics that inspire me.
 
So, what is your favorite coffee?? or do you like coffee? and what are your favorite ways to drink your cuppa joe?
 
Till later,
Jennifer
 

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer my sweet friend. you have no idea how much I enjoy hearing the happiness in your posts nowadays. I used to worry about you so much and felt helpless not being close enough to help you in any way. Please thank your dearest hubby for not only bringing joy into your life, but for bringing peace of mind to your blog friends. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley, my friend, you are so sweet. He will read this! We still have hurdles to cross but it's so much better with a loving spouse. Please don't worry about me. God is my protector. Yes, he has brought much joy in my life. We always say, if only we met each other 30 years ago!!! As far as a lot of blog friends, you are so faithful friend but through all in the past 3 years, I lost most. But actually, it is what it is. I do the best I can with what I have and having friends like you who accept me for who I am is priceless and precious. You mean a lot to me. I still have the feather on the windowsill you sent me promising an angel nearby. Thank you for your comment......Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer, Your post brightened my day! The thought of you and your hubby drinking coffee on the porch warms my heart. Like Lesley's posting, I am glad you have a reason to smile these days.

    I used to drink Folgers, but I recently switched to Gevalia. It's sold in Target and, I think, Walmart. I find it tastier and less gassy in my stomach :) My favorites are House Blend and French Roast. I still enjoy Folgers Hazelnut and like to mix 1/2 Hazelnut flavor with one of the Gevalia's. I love my coffee in the morning, but the rest of the day it's tea, tea, tea!! You will have to post about your favorite teas in another post!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for another wonderful pattern! I always love that there's a story behind each of your creations and they are always revolving around your love of your hubby or God. So beautiful! My favorite coffee is "Seattle's Best" that we get in a big bag from Sam's Club. I make a pot, too, because even if there's left overs, I love to make iced coffee in the afternoon. Thank you, again, Jennifer!! God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer