Friday, December 2, 2011

The Lacemaker Print Finds a New Home


Johannes Vermeer, one of my favorite artists, Dutch in origin, had very interesting paintings depicting mostly women in domestic chores of middle class. He had a preference for cornflower blues and yellow in his works. He was baptized in Delft/Netherlands in 1632 and died in 1673 at the early age of 43. This particular print of the oil painting is called The Lacemaker. He originally painted this in 1669-70 in Louvre, Paris.

I found this interesting from further research into The Lacemaker from Wikipedia~~

In The Lacemaker, the artist presents the various elements which compose both the girl's face and body as well as the pattern of the material she is working on in an abstract manner. The girl's hands, the curls of her hair and the T-cross which form her eyes and nose are all described in an abstract manner unusual for the era in which Vermeer worked. In addition, the red and white of the lace is shown as spilling from the sewing cushion with physical properties suggesting a near liquid form.[2] The blurring of these threads contrasts sharply with the precision of the lace she is shown working on.

 He is very famous also for The Girl with a Pearl Earring, of which I treasure over my fireplace, painted by my daughter in oil and a much larger piece.

Just a few weeks ago, while going through a thrift store, actually looking for something else, I saw this for 8.00. It's a print with glass of a Vermeer painting and interestingly, whoever owned this obviously  loved the art of tatting, or stitching, in general, as there is a corner piece of actual tatting under the glass.



I was instantly attracted to this print and it's beautiful frame and tatting piece. It fits in a perfect spot in the house and I LOVE it!

The print is actually about the same size as the original, as it's the smallest of Vermeer's paintings but regarded as unusual for the Baroque era, measuring about 8 x9 in.

I had to share with all those who love art AND needlework or needle art.

I think I definitely found a treasure! Just a reminder that sometimes when we are looking for one thing, we can find another.   Makes me wonder who would take such a piece to a thrift store, but I'm sure glad I found it.

Hope your evening is peaceful and your weekend beautiful!

5 comments:

  1. How beautiful and what a treasure! I'm so glad you got it! How interesting about the artist, too. Thank you for sharing.

    God bless you - JUlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    Once again you hit the jackpot at the thrift store! It is a lovely piece and like you, the piece of tatting makes it even more special.
    Many blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Jennifer. I always learn here. Beautiful new looks and music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does it...I need to stop by my thrift store more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Peggy , I went to another thrift store today...it's addictive. just joking. I really needed something for the kitchen and got it for 30Cents.
    AND I found a ssampler print from the early 1900's for 1.25. Yep, Had to have it.!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer