Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What I'm starting new tonight---Ann Hill sampler


The Ann Hill Sampler (from Williamsburg trip)
 designed by The Examplarery

here are the colors

the linen is 35 count, ivory





you can see Miss Abbie swarming at the "snack mat", as we call it, because she knows she gets a snack for being a good girl while I'm working here at the needle stand.



and Miss Flossie Mae has rearranged all the cushions while she supported Barnum and Bailey circus last night on the back porch. She also learned to leap at the sliding glass door high in the air to make thud sounds loudly to make Abbie start getting yacky. Then she runs sideways and hides under the chair and plans her attack to launch again in the air.

And so between the Farmville in 3D that we have going on right now, a diabetic dog, a crazy kitten, and a spoiled Chihauhau, a very pouting male cat, and Ruby who's the matriarch........stitching is a must for my sanity tonight. All the animals are fed, nurtured, petted, given treats, not given treats, shots, and they are alive.

Life is good.



But as I try to hear the Casey Anthony trial in blips in between, I think life could be worse.....so see.....

there's always a bright side to everything  ;)



I get all giddy when I saw this one in my basket, so that was a sure sign to start stitching this one.
It's a biggie though.   A BAP is not what I usually stitch. I like medium, small, or even medium-large and especially since I just finished a larger one......BUT  this one is so beautiful and I got this at a gift shop while I went to Colonial Williamsburg.....or went BY Colonial Williamsburg (I wished I could have stayed longer)
and this one is next.

I still need to sew up the side edges of the material. 35 count definitely will require my bifocals AND the magnifyer with my eye issues but I'm ready for a challenge!


The designer of this beautiful sampler is The Examplarery and Ann Hill Sampler is reproduced from The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Collection 1997

The front gives a little historical info and says that~~~

 "from the seventeenth century to the eighteenth century, the sampler evolved from a long narrow piece---probably not intended to be framed---to  a shorter, more square, non reversible work with decorative borders that could be framed and exhibited as the showpiece of a daughter's needlework accomplishments. British samplers of this period were often characterized by their precise embroidery and symmetrical motifs. Worsted grounds, the use of crowns or coronets and isolated motifs, like those used by the Ann Hill, were quite common. Ann also included what were probably her parent's initials, 'WHEH' in the right bottom corner of the sampler"

This piece was purchased, according to the front in 1930 for the first piece of Colonial Williamsburg sampler collection.

Types of stitches, cross stitch and Satin stitches.

The threads are DMC, included in the kit and includes a very pretty label to put on the back of the framed piece when finished.





Abbie is ready to start snacking now. She sends her love to all today!!!!
She does admit that a new kitty, even if only outside, is challenging her patience with the feline variety of a pac animal.



She is ready for the ORTS to start falling on her from these colors. HA!





And I can fairly say that "Flossie" of this variety has become very content in her new home and was caught on camera here this afternoon fully relaxing and stretched all the way out. I think her back legs have grown in just 3 days.

Till later,
Jennifer

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what gorgeous colors in Ann Hill! I'm looking forward to watching your progress. It'll be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo looks a lovely sampler :) abbie is looking really gorgeous in that shot and as for flossie that is one heck of a stretch ... quite jealous really ..lol love mouse xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new start,cannot wait to see your progress pictures! Your new kitten is so cute...think Abby probably does not agree with me though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start! Too bad you couldn't have stayed in W'burg a little longer. I would have loved to make the short drive to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have a whole zoo, lol. Glad that the critters are all doing well, and that you are too. Enjoy your new start. They're always fun to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a wonderful sampler and best of luck with it. I can't wait to see your progress on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new sampler will look fantastic. Love the floss toss.
    Abbie and your little kitten both look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that looks like a lovely sampler. I love your pictures. Your new kitty is adorable. I love to see the interaction between animals. I have three cats, and they're worth the price of admission. I find your stitching and your finishes to be inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that pic of Flossie! Glad to hear that Raven has been diagnosed. One of our Labs had the same symptoms and it was Hodgkins that they failed to catch. Hope she is feeling better. LOVE the new sampler project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I can't see the design very well, the linen and fibers are certainly beautiful - whatever they're stitched into!

    I know for pups, when they stretch out like that, with their belly up and open, it means that they are content and feel safe in their surroundings. I imagine it's pretty much the same with kitties.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer