Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mother Goose day


Most of the cozy day was spent with a quilt, pot of tea, and reading material. So many other things on my list to do but the day just keeps slipping away so comfortably inside as the weather is quite dark and dreary through the windowpanes.


Through my reading today, I found out that May 1st is also Mother Goose Day, first started in 1987 by Gloria Delamar. I love Mother Goose Rhymes and can remember quite a few that were memorized and chanted as a little girl. I still look at my toes and remember all the little piggies that went to the market!


Even though we probably all had this in our literature in the early years, and I mean, early (vintage), the rhymes are quite entertaining to read even as an adult. I have so many favorites I can't name just one single one but certainly this one still I fancy. Maybe it's because as I get older I can relate to this true wisdom, although hard at times to follow, it's pretty good for little and old folks.



A Wise Old Owl

A wise old owl sat in an oak,
The more he heard, the less he spoke;
The less he spoke, the more he heard;
Why aren't we all like that wise old bird?

Well, I've always been a night owl! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I just posted a link on my blog post to May Holidays and this one is listed among the many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if more people would take the position of the owl, the world would be a much nicer place! Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer