Sunday, February 14, 2010

The true meaning of the Love Day


As by now, you probably have gathered that I write what's on my mind and sometimes I don't think it out first. Not a good trait to have in most situations.

However, I love to write and when I'm inspired to do so, it may be just something pretty small that struck me one day, a stitchy thought, an inspirational moment, or something just plain funny. Sometimes my fanciful thinking and writing is probably best left unsaid but I digress.....

Today while doing alot of soul-searching for answers, I came upon this highlighted in my old Bible on April 6th, 1975. While I'm not at the church doors every time they are opened, I do believe in God. I believe He sometimes gives us the answers to things we don't want to hear and sometimes He says no when we want a yes. This can be blurred by folks who are at every church event and do not live it in their lives.

I try not to dwell on memories but I can't help but remember the elementary school Valentine's Day experiences of exchanging all those little cards and carrying home a papersack full of wishes from all my classmates. I remember how much joy that brought to go home that night and open and reread each little card and the occasional candies that had sayings on them and having some innocent crushes. Remember those?

I remember writing out my cards to fellow classmates and in those days I was quite introverted so, I was a bit shy but excited at the same time, a little on the hyper side.......yep, hyper. I remember those large packs of cards always included bigger ones and I saved those for my teachers. Silly, it seems to be remembering Valentines like that but that's when love was simple and straight from the heart.

It really should be that way everyday, but especially on Valentine's Day.

My views of the love day were tainted over the years with different experiences I had but there was one constant that will stay with me forever. That is the Love Chapter, 1st Corinthians 13.
I'm guilty just as much as anyone else of having to remind myself that this is what real love is.

It's easy not to follow the Love Chapter sometimes. I had saved an image of "Love is" stitched in a huge piece that I always intended to order and stitch some day. I can't even remember the designer right now but I really liked it.

Once I saved the image on my laptop wallpaper. Years ago when I was single and going through some rough times, I actually wrote the characteristics of love in a simple form and put it on my refrigerator where every time I went to get a glass of tea, I could see it. At that time, I needed the reminder as life experiences blurred the lines of the meaning of love for me.

Strangely in my earlier elementary days, I thought love was a natural thing when now as the years roll on, each year I am convinced that love is an action and is not always the natural thing to do. It's sometimes hard to recognize. Sometimes, it's plain as day. But for whatever stage in life we are in, the words of 1st Corinthians, the Love Chapter, remain the same.

Without getting into the complexities of religion (and I really have some at times), I wanted to reread and meditate today on these verses. I realize as a human I'm not perfect but this version of Love seems to soothe me, just reading it slowly again and again.

I thought I would share with all readers here as I would love to give each and every one of you a box of chocolates and a Valentine's card but I can't feasibly accomplish that. This passage is from an old Scofield Reference Bible and the words may vary but the meaning is the same. Again, I'm not pushing a religion here, but just sharing my inspirations.

I think when I read about what Love is here, it reminded me of what love is not.

1st Corinthians chapter 13~~~

1- Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding bronze or a tinkling cymbal.

2-And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.

3-and though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned and have love it profiteth me nothing.

4-Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not, love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5-Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil,

6-Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7-Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8-Love never faileth; but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9-For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10-But when that which is perfect is come then that which is in part shall be done away.

11-When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12-For now we see in a mirror darkly; but then, face to face, now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13-And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three;

but the greatest of these is love.

I hope you all had a great Valentine's Day in all parts of the world and that you are blessed with love, not only today, but always.

Jennifer

7 comments:

  1. Jennifer , Thank you for your post !! I LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer: hope you had a marvelous Happy Valentine's Day!!!, you deserve it, you're a sweetheart and lovely woman. Love your today's post. Big hugs for you and kissies to Abbie and Ren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, thank you for sharing such wonderful passages with us, we love you :)
    Hoping that your Valentine's Day was wonderful
    Hugs, peaches
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Thanks for that! I do hope you had an enjoyable Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all. It was definitely different than most but I had time for introspection.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day! A truly beautiful sentiment to share with all of your stitchy friends. I have actually found a couple of different patterns with the "Love is" verse/chapter incorporated into them. I recently learned that it is my youngest nephews favorite verse, so I went looking... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Jules, who is the designer? I would love to know because I had that image on my old laptop and now I can't find it. One day....one day, I will stitch this piece. I remember it all in blue, monochromatic piece but I'm sure you could change to whatever you wanted.
    Thanks for the warm sentiments and hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome at the homestead at any time! I appreciate your time out of your day to stop and say hello!!
I hope you find some useful information and gentle inspiration for your day.
Jennifer